Saturday, March 2, 2013

5 Years, Since You've Been Gone...

Today, its been 5 Years since you've left us. Not a year's gone by in which I haven't thought of you, especially on March 2nd. And even though I didn't write to you last year, you were and always are on my mind and in my heart…

Some days, its hard to believe that it's already been 5 years. Most of my memories of you are frozen in time, and when I think of you, I think of my childhood and the times we've shared together. And your house, mostly I remember your house, the house that helped build me…

I remember the day Dad took me and Fawzi to your house after you had left us. I took countless pictures of your old house, because I thought, well, I thought pictures were the best things I could keep of you. I think it was also in that moment that I subconciously rooted my love for taking pictures of each and every moment, person, and place, because when you look back, it's those snapshots, those moments in time that bring back the sincerest of smiles…

I was going through some of those old photos today, and one of the pictures that stood out to me the most was this one of the desk in the dining room. This old desk, with the old treasures in it's rusted old drawers that I had to pull with all my might to open, the crossword puzzles, the same desk that dad and my uncle used as kids, the desk I used to write and draw on. The desk of creativity, as I should call it. The desk also reminds me of you because it was a source of development, and you loved everything that helped us grow…


Teta, a lot's changed in the last 5 years. Starting with myself, I started working at the bank exactly a year after you had left us. So every work anniversary, I remember you. I also started my MBA. And you, having been a school principle, know the importance you've always placed on education. Fawzi's in his last year of university before he graduates with a Bachelor's in Computer Engineering. It's Samar's first year of university and Wassim's last year of high school. Tala, like me, is still working. And as for Diala, she finished her Masters in Comparative Literature and she's also married now and has a beautiful baby girl, named Yara. I'm sure you'd be proud of us all...

I also remember you during our rare, but favoured family gatherings. I always remember how your eyes used to light up at having the entire family together, over meals, and over special events. I might have not appreciated it at the time, but now, every time we're together, I understand the importance of family and being together that you oh so treasured…

God, how I miss you and the sweetness of your beautiful soul. I know you're up there, looking down on us, with Jiddo. I pray that you are both doing well and send you all my love… 

No comments:

Post a Comment