Monday, November 15, 2010

Malaysia, Langkawi Day I:

Dad made me bring his old laptop with me on vacation so that Mum and I could Skype him and my brother in Canada. I wasn’t really interested in carrying the extra weight, or in being connected. But I figured it’d be a good idea to store my photos on it. Unfortunately, I figured out a little too late that this old laptop doesn’t have an SD reader and there’s only free wifi in the lobby, and Mum insisted on buying a phone line (CelCom, for a cheap $7, which makes you realize what an absolute rip off Lebanon is!) so bringing the laptop was, as I was just saying, pretty much pointless. But after a long day and a hot shower, snuggled up in my pajamas in this unbelievably comfortable bed, I thought I’d take the laptop out and write (to be published when I got connected again)…

It’s been a long journey. We left Tripoli Saturday afternoon at 3:30 PM. And (keep up with me now), after a 1.5 hour drive from Tripoli to Beirut, followed by a 2.5 hour plane ride from Beirut to Bahrain, followed by a 2 hour wait for a transit to Malaysia, followed by a 7.5 hour plane ride from Bahrain to Kuala Lumpur, followed by a 1 hour plane ride from Kuala Lumpur to Langkawi, followed by a 30 minute drive to our hotel, we finally reached our destination… at 3.30 PM (Yes, it was almost a 24 hour trip)!

When the last plane landed on the island, a streak of lighting whitened the sky and it rained like it never rained before! As we took a staircase from the airplane, we were each handed an umbrella to make our way from the plane to the airport (a 5 minute walk) and by the time we reached the nearest sheltered part, our feet were drenched up to our ankles. But the fresh smell of trees breezed through the air and it felt beautiful…

I slept for 10 straight hours last night, catching up on my lost sleep and when I woke up this morning, I was feeling as refreshed as ever! We went upstairs for breakfast at the area overlooking the pool, sea, and gorgeous view. But then it was time to plan our day. When we arrived at the Langkawi Airport yesterday, they were giving out free “Langkawi Link” Vacation Guides which claimed to be “The Only Guide You Need To Plan Your Vacation”. And after a couple minutes of browsing through it last night, I have to agree, it is! Mum and I picked out all the interesting places that we wanted to visit. And so, we planned our first day…

(To Be Continued…)

No comments:

Post a Comment