Sunday, December 25, 2011

Home For Christmas '11

Yesterday after I got off work at 1:00pm, my parents picked me up and we drove down to Beirut to pick my brother up from the airport, his flight was due at 4:00pm.

We arrived just as his plane was landing and as we walked in to the arrivals section, I was quite overwhelmed with all the people there, waiting. The atmosphere was just full of airport love and longing: parents waiting for their student sons or daughters, little children waiting for their working fathers or mothers, lovers waiting for their loves… in every person I looked at, my mind would come up with a story of whom that person could be, and who he/she could be waiting for…

Add to that the festive songs of the holiday season playing in the background; add to it being December 24th, Christmas Eve, I genuinely felt happy for all the passengers who had just come home for the holidays!

And then the phone rang. It was my brother, he had arrived, but his bags had not. He said there had been a delay in the take off from Montreal and so he had barely made his connecting flight from Paris. But he was told that his luggage should arrive in the next plane from Paris which was due to land at 7:00pm. And he was a little ticked off...

So to kill time, we drove to Beirut Souks for dinner at The Met. The weather had taken a turn for the worse and as we were dining, little icicles began falling down from the ceiling. A white Christmas indeed! And in the spirit, I couldn’t help but snap this picture of The Christmas Tree under the pouring rain and hail:

Christmas Trees make me feel warm inside. I think it’s their flickering lights, their secure stance, as if they’re saying "I’ll always shine a light for you". Peace.

We finished dinner and drove back to the airport where thankfully, the suitcases had indeed arrived. We loaded them into the trunk and drove back home…

It definitely wasn't the Christmas Eve I had planned, but it’ll go down as one of the best Christmas Eves I’ve had till date ... Happy Holidays! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment