Saturday, December 19, 2009

What Is The Key To Happy Relationships?

That was my question at Table Topics today. What is the key to happy relationships?

I stood up, looked down at the table, and resisted the urge to say: “honesty”, or “loyalty”, or “trust”. Nah, because I knew it was something else…

And then, it hit me: LOVE. Love is the key to happy relationships. Why? I don’t know. Or at least I didn’t know how to explain it. After I sat down 15 seconds later, I wrote my question down on a piece of paper and promised myself to tackle it when I got home later that evening. So here we go…

Relationships. What is a relationship? In my world, it’s a relation or a connection you have with another. It could be with your family, your friends, or your lover. Relationships don’t have to be good, they could be bad. I think you have a relationship with everyone. Like your colleagues at work, the doorman, even the guy who pumps benzene at the gas station. I have a happy relationship with them all, but it’s not based on love. So now that I think about it, maybe love wasn’t the answer. I was stumped. So, I Googled it. And Google gave me the cliché: Good Communication and Trust. But no, I was still convinced that there was another word I was looking for.

And then it came to me: ACCEPTANCE. (To Be Continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment