Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Meeting Orlando Bloom!

I was telling Nadine how much I loved musicals, ever since I saw my first in Her Majesty's Theatre: The Phantom of the Opera. It was in London in the summer of 2005 and my parents were booking tickets to go watch it. They asked me and my brother if we wanted to watch it with them. My brother, who was 15 at the time, wasn't in the least bit interested and I was in the middle of yes and no until I thought I'd give it a try. And when I did, I fell in love with it…

Fast forward to 2013, when I find myself on broadway, with a another chance to watch a live musical. I was looking at all the options I would have loved to see... until Nadine pointed out what was playing in Richard Rodger's Theatre: "Romeo & Juliet". Now obviously, R&J isn't a musical and it's a play we've all read and seen a hundred times before. And honestly, I never would have even considered it if it weren't for one tiny little detail… it was starring Orlando Bloom! In. The. Flesh! 

Now let me tell you something about Orlando Bloom. Back when I was in high school, I had a huge B&W poster of him hung on my bedroom wall. In university, I had his pictures taped all over my dorm, I had him as my desktop wallpaper, and I even got him on my surprise birthday cake! THAT is how much I loved Orlando Bloom! So, I forgot all the musicals and opted to watch his debut on broadway... 

Live, he's a brilliant actor. He makes the play, and from the first moment he appears on stage on his motorbike, I just couldn't take my eyes off him. But, not to be biased, the play wasn't all that great. Or maybe we're just sick of Romeo and Juliet. But either way, I got what I went for: Orlando! 


When the play ended, I snapped a few blurry pictures of him and we went outside to find a small group of people waiting with cameras and the play's booklet. There was a metal bar setup in front of a back door and I couldn't believe my eyes that Orlando Boom was going to come out for autographs! It didn't take too long for the door to open and there he was! Nadine and I took about 150 pictures of him in 5 minutes, and here's the autograph I got from him:


P.S. On his way back in, I screamed "ORLADNOOO! CAN I TAKE A PICTURE WITH YOU?" He turned around at the sound of my voice, smiled and said "Thank You" before going back in. Oh well, maybe next time? ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment