Sunday, September 2, 2012

September Bike Ride - Ride for Peace in Tripoli

It's been a while since I've joined, let alone blogged about El Mina By Bike. Which is quite a shame, as these supposedly bi-monthly events really have a special place in my "Love Tripoli" side, right after "Shoot As You Walk"

But late is better than never, and so like last time, Sura picked me up this morning at 8:30am and we drove off to the meeting point in front of La Sirene in El Mina for September Ride Bike - Ride for Peace in Tripoli. Since we arrived a little earlier than we normally do (blame my nagging at her to be on time for once :-P), we were able to pick out from the better bikes, and I found myself drawn to this red one (which ended up being the nosiest of the bikes, with its helicopter-like rattles, as Sura put it! :-P): 


There's something so good about riding a bike. Personally, riding a bike in Tripoli specifically, brings back memories of me and my brother biking with Dad back when we were living in Canada (hometown to hometown). But other than that, biking brings me closer to Tripoli, which I've been having a love-hate relationship with as of late. Thankfully, our ride led me to the former, to the love side of this city...

Biking on the same paths that I drive on gives the road more meaning. From the starting point in El Mina all the way to the city, to Tripoli, the road, the speed bumps, and even the potholes, it all makes me feel more grounded, more in root with this city, when I'm on it with two wheels rather than four… :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment