Saturday, February 27, 2010

Best Evaluator!

I didn’t want to take a Toastmasters role this week, especially not after I’d bought Nonzy and was planning on dedicating all my free time to figuring out how to take the most awesome of pictures with him. But last Wednsday, DialaK SMSed me:

“Noura, for the sake of public speaking in our life and the afterlife, u r eval of either diala or sally. We r all taken. Mwa”

And when DialaK sends me a message like that, there’s nothing much I can do about it. So, I dejectedly drove over to Toastmasters this afternoon, ready to be an evaluator, which is usually one of my most dreaded roles...

But it actually turned out to be a pretty good meeting. MayaS was the Toastmaster. She hasn’t been a Toastmaster in quite a while and I could tell that she had put a lot of effort in preparing for the role. Sally and DialaA both delivered their 4th speeches, both of them coincidently on the same topic: Chocolate! Then, Fouad the Table Topics Master gave a session about communication and its importance in our lives. And finally, DialaK was the General Evaluator who, as usual, was up to par, followed by MayaB as Sally’s evaluator and me as DialaA’s evaluator. Also, Mohamad, the newest member, took on the role of Timer for the first time and I (being his mentor) was quite proud of him, he did a great job! And of course there was Amro, the Ah-Counter

But I’ve got to admit, the best part of meeting came at the end, with the announcement of the best Speakers and Evaluators! Why? Cause I won! It’s a simple red ribbon that reads BEST EVALUATOR but it somehow got me to wholeheartedly smile… Toastmasters, how do you always keep me coming back for more?

No comments:

Post a Comment