Monday, January 11, 2010

LiveStrong

In the year 2006 while I was at a Nike store in Montreal, I came across a Live Strong wristband. I remember back in college, a lot of people I knew used to wear them, and so, knowing little what it was all about, I bought one and wore it too. But, like most things I quickly get into, I also quickly lost interest and took it off…

A couple of days ago at Toastmasters (see post below), four members from “Speakers & Leaders” came to visit us at “Loud Speakers”. One of the S&L members, who also happened to be the Toastmaster for the night, was wearing the long forgotten Live Strong wristband. And it brought back the memory…

So last night, I decided to find out what it really was all about:

"The Lance Armstrong Foundation (LAF) is a United States nonprofit organization that provides support for people affected by cancer, founded in 1997 by cancer survivor and champion cyclist Lance Armstrong. The LAF states that its mission is to “inspire and empower” cancer sufferers…" – Wikipedia.

As of this moment, I know 3 people battling with cancer. I also know 2 people who have died because of it. None of them are or were that close to me, but in one way, they’ve affected me. And I’ve since decided to wear it again…


No comments:

Post a Comment